Get the edge on adventure and advancement by traveling with UT Martin Travel Study programs! Our experienced group leaders have a full slate of unique global learning opportunities ready for you. Most of our travel comes complete with exciting activities and course credit. This may be the most unique class you ever take!
UT Martin faculty and staff accompany students on approximately 15 travel-study trips each year.
For more information, please contact the group leader.
Travel Studies in Korea
International Summer School at Hansung University (Seoul)
Exchange Program with Myongji University in Seoul, South Korea
*Proposed trips 2024
|Date||Destination||Faculty Group Leader|
|May 2024||Costa Rica||Jessica Crews|
|May 2024||Germany -10-day||Chuck Hammond|
|May 2024||London/Paris||Dexter Davis|
|May 2024||Kenya||Todd Winters|
|June 2024||Braunschweig, Germany||Clinton Smith|
|May/June 2024||France/Camino||John Glass|
|May/June 2024||Japan||Kyoko Hammond|
|May 2024||Spain||John Glass|
|May 2024||France||John Glass|
|May 2024||Great Plains||Tim Wallace|
|Fall 2024||Guatemala||Sandy/Joey Mehlhorn|
|Fall 2024||Washington||Angela M. Van Boening|
*Please note: All proposed trips are subject to departmental approvals, confirmed dates of trip by group leaders, and required number of participants.
In today’s global environment, study-abroad opportunities can give you an advantage when it comes to future employment or graduate school. UT Martin offers an extensive list of destinations, programs (ranging from 1-2 weeks to an entire semester abroad) and international internships.
UT Martin believes that study abroad offers students an excellent opportunity to experience today's world firsthand, to expand their linguistic abilities and cultural horizons, and to prepare for careers in the global economy of the 21st century. We sponsor study abroad programs at our international partner universities both during the summer and the academic year. Don't miss this chance to improve your fluency in a foreign language and to immerse yourself in the culture and traditions of your chosen host country.
UTM Study Abroad Programs
|July-August||University of Orléans**||French Language & Culture|
|July-August||Nancy, France**||French Language & Culture|
|July-August||Hirosaki University**||Japanese Language & Culture|
|July-August||Hiroshima Jogakuin University**||Japanese Language & Culture|
|July-August||Takasaki, Japan**||Japanese Language & Culture|
|July-August||Fukoka, Japan**||Japanese Language & Culture|
|July-August||Technical U. Braunschweig**||German Language & Culture|
|July-August||Guanajuato, Mexico**||Spanish Language & Culture|
** Check with the professors for program details
Seoul, South Korea (International Summer School at Hansung University) *Three Full Scholarships available.
Annual Summer Immersion Programs
SGA Student Scholarship
**Only one award per year per student**
Any full-time undergraduate, graduate, or TIEP student who enrolls in a travel-study or study-abroad program approved by the Travel-Study Scholarship Committee can apply. Normally, these will be programs sponsored by UTM, but students may request support for the travel-study/study-abroad programs they have developed on their own. Awards will be made primarily to students undertaking substantial travel-study projects, which will generally fall into the following categories: travel-study programs (at least one week in duration), language immersion programs (at least three weeks in duration), study-abroad programs lasting one semester or an entire academic year. The Travel-Study Scholarship Committee will consider the following criteria when making awards:
- The cost of the applicant's travel-study program
- The duration of the program
- The program itinerary (preferably out-of-state and international travel)
- The academic content of the program
- The financial need of the applicant
- The availability of other funds to support the chosen program
Complete the application form and submit the original to the Center for Global Education and Experience, 124 Gooch Hall, by the appropriate deadline.
- Students are encouraged to make their travel-study plans early in the academic year and to apply for support by the most appropriate deadline. These funds, generated by the SGA Travel-Study Fee, are limited and may be significantly depleted by the spring semester.
- Before a student may receive a scholarship he/she must pay all outstanding university fees.
- Students must conform to the rules for submitting scholarship applications listed on the reverse side.
- Students should make a point of seeking additional scholarship assistance from other sources to supplement this award. Additional funds may be available from the Colleges and Departments within which they are majoring. See trip leader for additional scholarship information.
- Please understand that if you receive financial aid from this scholarship you may be asked by the SGA Committee to present at an upcoming event. This would include a presentation about your travels to help enlighten other students about the benefits of traveling while in college. Failure to comply may constitute in some of or the entire amount you are awarded to be charged to you. Also understand that we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. If you apply later you may be awarded only partial or none of the scholarship amounts due to the high interest in students traveling.
- Travel study scholarship awards funded by the SGA Committee will be applied directly to the total cost of the selected travel study experience.
SGA Scholarship Application
Download the SGA Scholarship Application.
Please contact the Center for Global Education and Experience, (731) 881-1023, for more information.
Forms and Additional Information
Passport Application Information
The U.S. passport identifies the bearer as a U.S. citizen or national. It is a request to foreign governments to permit travel or temporary residence in their territories and access to all lawful, local aid and protection. It also allows bearers access to U.S. consular services and assistance while abroad and re-entry into the U.S. More passport application information.
Visa Application and International Travel Information
A travel visa is an official government document that temporarily authorizes you to be in the country you are visiting. Many countries require a visa to gain entry. The visa usually is in the form of a stamp or sticker placed IN the passport and is obtained from the country you are visiting. More visa application and international travel information.