At the University of Tennessee at Martin, skills and knowledge gained outside the classroom are just as important as those learned within it. Students from all academic areas are encouraged to participate in internship and experiential learning opportunities.
An internship integrates practical experience with education in a structured, supervised work environment. Internships are available year-round and typically last one semester. They can be paid or unpaid; for class credit (consult faculty advisor for approval) or not. Contact Career Planning and Development with any questions: 731.881.7712.
The benefits of participating in an internship are vast. When you intern, you have the opportunity to do the following:
- Enhance your resume and be more marketable for the full-time job search
- Build your professional network
- Expand understanding about your chosen industry or field
- Develop general work functions and workplace etiquette
- Gain exposure to organizational culture, latest trends, technologies and practices
- Develop transferable skills: communication, time management, report writing, customer service, etc.